Some say, “Life is like a box of chocolates,” while others equate it to the twists and turns of a roller coaster. However you view things, at times in life you never know what you’ll get or how far you’ll drop. When one’s emotions sink, there are ways to cope and ultimately see the beauty of silver linings. Remember to enjoy the ride and you may find the best in all types of situations.
The Power of Gratitude
Individuals who practice gratitude regularly are better able to find creative solutions to problems. Because they focus more, these people are also less likely to procrastinate. Other positive impacts of gratitude consist of:
- Physical, psychological and social wellness
- Boost in immune system
- Reduction of stress and anxiety
- Battling depression
- Improving sleep
- Promotion of healthy behaviors, like exercise
- Reciprocal benefits – a person who gives, receives, or witnesses gratitude benefits from its expression
Research shows that the effects of meditation tie closely to those of gratitude. Meditation can be a relaxing way to help one view the bigger picture in life and remain grateful. It allows for more trust in individuals and helps with reflection of deeper issues. Seek guidance in a meditation expert for optimal results.
Turn Those Thoughts Around
Every negative trait can be turned into a positive, depending on how it’s seen. When flaws are viewed as strengths in disguise, it’s easier to have a positive attitude towards life. Try applying the following:
- Think you’re bossy? Use the term assertive instead. Use your strong voice to stand up for issues close to your heart
- Friends say you’re irresponsible? Think: adventurous. You find passion in everything you do.
- If roommates have used the term “sloppy” to fit your description, remember it’s simply creativity. See the beauty in the surrounding chaos with unique flair.
- Been called impulsive? Try spontaneous. Be the one to turn to when friends opt for last minute plans.
- Your “stubborn-ness” is really persistence, a solid quality in life. You’re a strong, dedicated force in the community.